#ENDSARS: BUHARI CONDEMNS KILLINGS, SUES FOR PEACE
By Joy Okosieme
President Muhammadu Buhari is hopeful that justice would be done to families who lost their members during the #ENDSARS as well as the property owners whose assets were vandalized or looted.
The President expressed this hope on Sunday via a statement issued on his behalf by Malam Garba Shehu, his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity.
The President comment came a day before the judicial panel of inquiry set up by the Lagos State Government to unravel the causes of the disturbances that led to loss of lives and destruction of public and private property begins sitting.
The President, who said he had avoided going into a debate about the Lekki Toll Gate incidents until all the facts were established, appealed to Nigerians to maintain peace and brotherhood as the machinery of the government and the wheel of justice turn against the perpetrators of murder, arson, stealing, rape, assault and malicious damage to public and private property.
“The President advises that peace, brotherhood, and inter communal harmony are central to our ethos and urges Nigerians “not to turn against one another in hate”, the President said.
He said it was important that the police and other security agencies move everywhere to restore calm and normalcy as quickly as possible.
The President said while his administration is working hard through many pragmatic ways to reduce the hardship of the millions of unemployed, poor citizens and those whose lives have been thrown into disarray by the harsh economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the recourse to attacks and organized looting and plundering of public and private property in many states were inimical to public good and stand condemned.
“A government that has launched a massive crackdown on corruption, brought in strong laws for a decisive battle against corruption, pursues loot recovery at home and abroad, and taken strong decisions against those who thought they were above the law, will not fold its arms when an otherwise legitimate and peaceful protest is turning into free-for-all vandalism and looting.
“While the administration has, for its part, blocked so many means of looting public money in a war against corruption, it is the expectation that all civil authorities, community and religious leaders in the country must rise against the organized looting and plunder we are witnessing in parts of the country.
“Families must turn back children who bring home unaccounted goods, in the same way wives must ask their husbands to return looted items brought home. What is more, is that criminal actions as we have so far witnessed can weaken and erode the confidence of our people and that of foreign businesses in investing in the economy. Looting and vandalism will hurt trade and investment growth in our country, both large and small industries, as well as our hardworking people in the informal sectors of the economy”, the President said.
He said these incidents do not reflect well on any society being wrong and condemnable and should not be supported by reasonable members of the society.
“In line with this, President Buhari commends the decision of the Lagos State Ministry of Justice to prosecute 229 suspects arrested by the police for allegedly using the #EndSARS protest to destroy and loot public and private property.
“As mentioned in two successive statements on the issues, the President and his administration have taken note of the grievances of the people. “We have heard you loud and clear,” he said, and has shown a clear determination to take all necessary measures to address the complaints. The violence must stop.
President Buhari also decried hate messages and eviction notices to ethnic and religious groups asking Nigerians to take pride in the fact that our diverse people have been living with one another in harmony for ages. The right of all citizens to live and work in any part of the country is a constitutional right and will be defended by the government.